Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A finished quilt! {a.k.a. the war is over}

Yay! It's finished...the wrestling/war/some even say quilting is over! Despite some minor injuries (literally - I fell over and now have a quite colorful knee *lol*) I won the battle on Sunday (if you wonder who the enemy was: it was the time and sometimes even my bestie Nina). Although the quilt wasn't dry I had to take some pictures before I left for my parent's where the handover should take place. So my beloved quilt holder really had a hard time holding this heavy (because still wet) "monster" so I take only one picture showing it all.
size: 62" x 82"
machine pieced and quilted by moi :)
batting: luna loft 80/20

 Yay! Er ist fertig....der Kampf (einige sagen auch Quilting dazu) ist vorbei! Ich hab die Schlacht trotz kleiner Blessuren am Sonntag gewonnen (falls der Gegner noch unklar ist: es war sowohl die Zeit als auch der kleine Durchlass meiner Nina). Die Bilder mussten wegen des Zeitmangels im halbtrockenen Zustand gemacht werden, weshalb nur ein einziges existiert, in dem der Quilt ganz zu sehen ist (danach hat mein Quilthalter gestreikt).

I used a Jelly Roll of Tula Pink's "Plume" along with some Kona Cotton "Mint" (I love that color, it's really beautiful!), for the back I initially wanted to use the big floral/bird print but I couldn't get enough of it...instead I chose the "Swan Lake" print in Mint...the swans are kissing in the center seam :) (sorry, I totally forgot to take a picture of this).
swan lake (plume by tula pink for moda)
Verwendet wurde eine Jelly Roll von Tula Pinks "Plume" zusammen mit Kona Cotton Mint (die Farbe ist total schön!), für die Rückseite wollte ich eigentlich den "Tailfeathers" in Mint nehmen ~ natürlich war der nicht mehr zu kriegen und so habe ich mich für den Schwanensee entschieden...und durch die Mittelnaht küssen sich meine Schwäne auch noch :) (leider habe ich vergessen, davon noch ein Foto zu machen....Mist):
While I pieced this quilt I had a typical "D'Oh" moment - I really thought that the pattern I used was my idea. I even thought about making a tutorial for my blog...but midway through I realized that my brain was playing tricks with me. Actually, I had seen the pattern before. It is a quilt that Red Pepper Quilts designed and she even has made a pattern out of it. The only difference is, that she uses a Layer Cake, plus the layout and the borders are a bit different from mine. 
If you don't already know Rita's blog you should visit her ~ aside from the pattern she sells she offers some great tutoritals for free and I always love to see what she comes up next with!
 Während ich den Quilt genäht habe, hatte ich natürlich mal wieder einen "D'Oh"-Moment in bester Homer-Simpson-Manier. Ich war wirklich überzeugt, dass ich mir das schöne Muster selbst ausgedacht habe. Habe sogar mit dem Gedanken an ein Tutorial gespielt. Von wegen! Mein Gedächtnis hat mich ver...äppelt und verdrängt, dass ich es vor einiger Zeit bei Rita von Red Pepper Quilts gesehen hatte. Sie bietet es auch als Pattern an. Der einzige Unterschied ist, dass sie einen Layer Cake verwendet hat und die Randgestaltung/Blocklayout ein bisschen anders gemacht hat.
Falls Ihr Ritas Blog noch nicht kennt, schaut mal bei ihr vorbei ~ neben den Anleitungen, die sie verkauft, hat sie einige schöne kostenlose Tutorials auf ihrer Seite!
Anyway, when I gave this quilt to the recipient on Sunday, she was so happy and it seems to me, quite touched (sniffsniff)...isn't this the best reaction??
Tomorrow I'll see my friend off at the airport...the alarm is set for 4.50 am ~ good night!
Egal, das eigentlich Wichtige: als ich den Quilt seiner Empfängerin gegeben habe, hat diese sich ziemlich gefreut und fast ein paar Krokodilstränen verdrückt...ist das nicht die beste Reaktion, die man erwarten kann??
So, morgen geht's ab zum Flughafen, um endgültig Au revoir! zu sagen...der Wecker ist auf 4:50 Uhr gestellt ~ gute Nacht!

10 comments:

  1. You've made a gorgeous gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty pretty!
    I saw a quote: "to quilt is human. to FINISH one is DIVINE" lol!
    ~Monika in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liebe Julia,
    ich wusste doch, dass Du es schaffen wirst!!! Und das ist doch wirklich ein fantastisches Geschenk für eine Freundin zum Abschied!

    Ganz liebe Grüße und sei nicht zu traurig
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  4. So ein schöner Quit ist das geworden. Deiner gefällt mir farblich auch besser als der von redpepper! Grüße Floh

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sooo beautiful, Julia! And wow... I just noticed I'm the third Monica to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it is stunning and well worth all the effort! Well Done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ui, ein wunderhübscher Quilt. Mir hätte es das Herz gebrochen soetwas Schönes fortzugeben. Aber deine Freundin wird es zu schätzen wissen.
    lG, Ulrike
    PS: Tolle Nähmaschine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt :) Love the simple pattern you had use and the color is so fresh..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! ohhhh, that Kona Mint is delicious!
    I break out in a sweat when I'm machine quilting. Does that feeling ever go away? :) I'm only on my second quilt and I think I'm going to pass out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this quilt, I see it used a 9 patch block, would you mind sharing some of the measurements with us?

    ReplyDelete

Danke, dass Du Dir die Zeit nimmst, einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen - ich freue mich über jeden einzelnen!

Thanks for taking the time commenting on my blog - I appreciate every single one!