Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mug Rug

mug rug ~ in a 'Christmas-y' setting
Since the first time I stumbled across those mug rugs on flickr and various blogs I thought...yay! Great! Not only a coaster to place my mug upon, but big enough for adding some COOKIES! Yay!
Until now I hadn't come around to make some of my own, but yesterday night I finally whipped up my first one, which is now in its new home...I hope you like it, Peg!

Vor einer Weile bin ich über so genannte 'Mug Rugs' (höhö: Becher Teppich...nee, natürlich nicht, eher überdimensionierter Untersetzer) bei Flickr bzw. auf diversen Blogs gestoßen...und ich dachte yay! Super! Nicht nur ein oller Untersetzer für meinen Becher, sondern ein Teil, auch noch Platz für ein paar KEKSE hat! Jippieee!
mug rug ~ the other side
Bisher hatte ich noch keine Zeit, selbst einen zu nähen, aber gestern Nacht habe ich es endlich geschafft. Das Ergebnis ist jetzt auf dem Weg in sein neues zu Hause...ich hoffe, Du magst ihn, Peg!

I used some 'Pure' fabrics by Sweetwater and some Kona 'Ash'...sewed together 1" (finished) squares and quilted straight lines...well, and a square. It's about 7" x 8".
I added a narrow border to mimick a binding but next time I'd sew on a normal binding, because the turning and then quilting somehow distorted the shape...
I got a bit carried away while taking pictures...I think I need to make some more rugs so I can take some more photos :).
mug rug ~ in all its 'pure' glory :)
Ich habe für den Mug Rug einige Stoffe von der 'Pure'-Kollektion von Sweetwater verwendet, zusammen mit mit Kona 'Ash'...die Quadrate sind 1" (finished) und gequiltet habe ich mehr oder weniger gerade Linien...naja, und ein Quadrat. Das Ding ist etwa 7" x 10" groß.
Ich habe einen schmalen Rand angenäht, quasi als Ersatz-Binding. Bin aber nicht 100%ig zufrieden, da sich das Ganze durch Verstürzen und anschließendes Quilten doch ziemlich verzogen hat...
Und ich hab mich ein wenig gehen lassen bei der Fotosession...vielleicht sollte ich noch mehr von den MRs nähen, damit ich noch mehr Fotos machen kann :).
mug rug ~ ehem...well, another picture
Here are some blogs I regularly read where I found some mug rugs: 

Hier sind die Links zu Blogs, die ich regelmäßig lese, bei denen ich einige Mug Rugs gefunden habe:
  • Mary of Pin. Sew. Press. combined some of my favourite fabrics (Nicey Jane and Bliss) with linen...you can bet I'll copy that idea :).
  • Kerry of Lovely Little Handmade came up with an adorably cute banner mug rug...
  • The talented Amy of During Quiet Time added some block printing to hers...clever!
  • Aneela of comfortstitching also made beautiful mug rugs (can't wait for her 'sherbet pips' to arrive)
  • Heather of {House} of A La Mode got another banner mug rug...grey is irresistible, isn't it?
  • Tracyjay of Tracyjayquilts appliquéd some great leaves...! Or this awesome Glorified Nine Patch...
  • Anita of Bloomin' Workshop...do I really need to explain why these are just beyond cute?
  • I haven't managed to snatch some of the 'Ghastlies' yet but if I had, I'd definitely make a mug rug with these...like Darci of Stitches and Scissors did.
  • with the happy mug rug that Angela of Raggedy Owl made you'll definitely start into a good day...
  • for many, many, many more gorgeous mug rugs you should search for "mug rugs" on flickr!
Oh, and if you thought I'd stop at one new obsession you're totally wrong: I've already scribbled down about hundred ideas of making my own scrappy hoops! I have a huge oval quilting frame that I want to embellish with an embroidered Berlin U-Bahn map...would be nice to hang it next to my design wall frame...:).
mug rug ~ modeling my East Frisian mug
Oh, und wenn Ihr jetzt denkt, dass ich mit einer neuen Obsession genug habe, seid Ihr leider völlig auf dem Holzweg: Ich habe bereits mehr als eine Idee für einen Scrappy Hoop aufgeschrieben! Mein großer ovaler Quiltrahmen liegt eh nur in der Ecke 'rum und ich dachte, es wäre nett, eine gestickte Karte von der berliner U-Bahn neben meine Design Wall, äh Rahmen, aufzuhängen...:).

6 comments:

  1. Hallo Julia,

    lieben Dank für dein Hinweis auf diesen tollen "Teppich". Ich glaube so einen brauch ich auch fürs Büro. Dann siehts gleich viel ordentlicher aus.

    Liebe Grüße und ein schönes Wochenende wünschen Dir,
    Schildi und Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Julia,

    wo gräbst Du nur immer diese tollen Sachen aus??

    Superklasse die Mug Rugs ... ein absolutes must have denke ich. Der Hype darum wird jetzt bestimmt über den Teich schwappen.

    Aber auch die Idee mit den scrappy hoops... klasse... ist das einfach nur als Deko gedacht oder als dekorative Aufbewahrungsmöglichkeit bis zur Nutzung des Rahmens?

    LG
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll have to make a mug rug for my desk at work, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Julia,
    toll!!!
    Echt klasse, muss ich unbedingt machen.
    Danke fürs Zeigen und die vielen Links.
    Liebe Grüße
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT... why havent I thought of it!!!!!!! :o))
    Im always having a napkin or something with me.. because I take me tea with me all around the house..lol... this is so clever.. and your is just wonderful. THanks for showing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this one :) Simple and clean!

    ReplyDelete

Danke, dass Du Dir die Zeit nimmst, einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen - ich freue mich über jeden einzelnen!

Thanks for taking the time commenting on my blog - I appreciate every single one!